Monday, March 14, 2011

a howdy, reflections on marbles, and plasti-gone

Well hello there people of the blogsphere. I don't know if that's what people call it, because I know zilch about blogging, but that's what it's going to be. This is my first blog post ever - exciting, yes? I think so, at least. I thought that it would be appropriate to do a bit of a 'get to know Paige' session, because otherwise we'll just remain in that awkward stranger phase forever. So salut, greetings, howdy, I'm Paige, an idealistic Buffalonian and current high school student. As mentioned somewhere in my information, I like dogs and dance and string cheese. And elephants and music and whales and oatmeal apricot white chocolate cookies and socks and sea turtles and canvas and felt...and lots and lots of other very silly things. Mittens, I love mittens. But anywho, aside from all that I guess you could call me an earth lover, or something akin to it. I really just love nature. I don't love mosquitoes or spiders or mud, or being too hot or being too cold, because that's just asking a lot of a person. But I am enamored of the way spring smells and I enjoy how the ocean pulls you in when you take a step out to sea and I love seeing mist rise off the pond in front of my house on early-autumn mornings. I will straight away admit that while I've always been taught to not leave the lights on and to always close the fridge, I am certainly not the most environmentally generous person the planet has ever seen. Me and my diesel Jetta (named Marve) commute about 55 miles a day and my showers are probably too long, but that's kind of what this blog is going to be about, or at least it's what my aim is. I want this to document my journey from a mildly conscious American citizen, who definitely recycles but forgets her reusable bags in her car sometimes, to someone who can proudly proclaim that she buys local, eats natural, carpools, and has made the switch (along with her family) to a plastic-free lifestyle. 

This blog will be many things. A home for some inspiration by way of poetry (not my own, thank your lucky stars), music, and photography, a place to share cool ideas and projects that I find around the country, a documentation of the people I meet, the things they say that inspire me, the changes I make, how they work, how they don't and how you might go about doing the same things. It will also be a way for me to write about my major project Plasti-Gone which I will doubtless talk lots about later, so I won't babble too much about it now. At its core, Plasti-Gone is a project that I started with two friends, which will create a partnership with schools like ours throughout the Great Lakes region; all the schools involved will sign a pledge promising to gradually rid their campuses completely of one use plastics (yes, vending machines, sporks and all). It's going to be pretty amazing, I hope, and since I've just returned from a plastics symposium (those exist and they are just as cool as they sound - see link below) I'm really energized about the whole idea. Oh, and as far as the blog goes, I'll probably post some random recipes on here too, because who doesn't like food?

I will leave you with one very final thought, because it made my entire weekend in California totally worth the jet-lag. A blue marble. Yep, just a glass marble, on the big side as far as marbles go. Dr. J. Nichols gave everyone at the conference a blue marble, and told us to keep it with us to remind us of why this fight (against plastic pollution in our oceans) is so extremely important. It just stuck with me. That little marble is what our earth looks like from a bazillion miles away. It's flawless and perfectly blue and you can't see the grime and the smog and North Pacific Gyre floating around killing albatross. It inspired me because we could make living on our earth just as immaculate and awesome as that little marble. 

"Live like you love our planet, because you do." Dr Wallace J. Nichols      

No comments:

Post a Comment